RECYCLE METAL• FUN FACTS
* Recycling one aluminum can saves enough energy to run a TV for three hours -- or the equivalent of a half a gallon of gasoline.
* 350,000 aluminum cans are produced every minute!
* More aluminum goes into beverage cans than any other product.
* Once an aluminum can is recycled, it can be part of a new can within six weeks.
* Because so many of them are recycled, aluminum cans account for less than 1% of the total U.S. waste stream, according to EPA estimates.
* During the time it takes you to read this sentence, 50,000 12-ounce aluminum cans are made.
* An aluminum can that is thrown away will still be a can 500 years from now!
* There is no limit to the amount of times an aluminum can can be recycled.
* Aluminum can manufacturers have been making cans lighter -- in 1972 each pound of aluminum produced 22 cans; today it yields 29 cans.
* We use over 80,000,000,000 aluminum pop cans every year.
* At one time, aluminum was more valuable than gold!
* A 60-watt light bulb can be run for over a day on the amount of energy saved by recycling 1 pound of steel. In one year in the United States, the recycling of steel saves enough energy to heat and light 18,000,000 homes!
* Every ton of recycled steel saves 2,500 pounds of iron ore, 1,000 of coal, and 40 pounds of limestone.